Sunderland File Official Complaint Over ‘Blatant’ Unpunished Handball in Manchester United Clash
Sunderland AFC have formally submitted a complaint to the Premier League and PGMOL over a “blatant” handball that went unpunished during their 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday night.
The Black Cats claim the incident, which occurred in the 67th minute with the score at 0-0, directly influenced the outcome of a game that could have massive implications for both the relegation battle and United’s push for European qualification.
The Incident
With Sunderland pushing for a winner, a cross from the left by Patrick Roberts struck the outstretched arm of United defender Harry Maguire inside the penalty area. Replays showed the ball clearly hitting Maguire’s arm, which was away from his body and appeared to block the ball’s path toward goal.
Referee Anthony Taylor waved play on, and VAR official Michael Oliver reviewed the incident for under 45 seconds before confirming the on-field decision. No penalty was given, and play continued.
Two minutes later, United broke down the other end and scored what proved to be the winner through Rasmus Højlund.
Sunderland’s Response
Sunderland lodged their official report to the Premier League Match Officials department at 10:30am on Thursday, accompanied by video evidence and a written statement from the club.
In the statement, the club said: “We believe there was a clear and obvious error in not awarding a penalty for handball in the 67th minute. The Laws of the Game are clear on handball when a player makes their body unnaturally bigger and prevents a goal-scoring opportunity. We feel our team and supporters have been let down by a decision that is difficult to understand given the available evidence.”
Head coach Régis Le Bris was more direct in his post-match comments.
It was a penalty. Everyone in the stadium saw it. The referee didn’t give it, VAR didn’t give it. I don’t understand,” Le Bris said. “We work all week, the players give everything, and then one decision changes everything. It’s frustrating.”
Why Sunderland Are Taking Action
The complaint is not just about this one game. Sunderland sit 18th in the table, two points from safety with three matches remaining. A penalty at 1-1 could have given them a crucial win and lifted them out of the relegation zone.
Club sources say the board feels this is the third major officiating error against them in the last six games, following a disallowed goal against Aston Villa and a missed red card for an opponent against Everton.
This isn’t about blaming officials for relegation,” a club spokesperson said. “It’s about accountability and consistency. If the laws are there, they need to be applied. Our fans, players, and staff deserve better.”
PGMOL acknowledged receipt of Sunderland’s complaint on Thursday afternoon. Under current protocol, the governing body for referees will review the incident internally and provide feedback to the club, but there is no mechanism to overturn the result.
A PGMOL spokesperson said: “All key match incidents are reviewed post-match. We will communicate our findings to Sunderland in due course. We do not comment publicly on ongoing reviews.”
Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher, speaking on Sky Sports News, said he believed it should have been a penalty.
For me, the arm is out, it’s away from the body, and it stops the cross. That’s a penalty under the current interpretation,” Gallagher said. “VAR should have intervened. I’m surprised it didn’t.”
Fan and Pundit Reaction
The incident has exploded on social media, with #SunderlandRobbery trending in the UK on Thursday morning. Sunderland fans have pointed to similar handball decisions given against them earlier in the season, while United supporters argue Maguire’s arm was in a natural position while jumping.
Pundits are largely in agreement with Sunderland. Gary Neville said on Sky: “It’s a penalty. I don’t care who it is. If that’s against my team, I’d be fuming. VAR is there for exactly that.”
Former Sunderland striker Kevin Phillips added: “At this stage of the season, decisions like that are massive. You can’t tell me that’s not a handball. It’s killing the club.”
Sunderland’s complaint will not change the result, but the club hopes it will lead to greater scrutiny of VAR processes and a public explanation from PGMOL. They have also requested a meeting with Howard Webb, chief refereeing officer, before their next game against Brentford on Saturday.
Le Bris said his focus is now on the players’ mentality.
We can’t change Wednesday. We can only control Saturday. The players are angry, and that’s good. We need to use that anger against Brentford.”
For United, the win keeps them 7th and in contention for a Europa League spot. Manager Ruben Amorim declined to comment on the handball, saying: “I didn’t see it clearly. The officials made the decision.”
Sunderland’s fight for Premier League survival continues. Whether this complaint leads to any change in officiating standards remains to be seen, but for now, the sense of injustice at the Stadium of Light is very real.